Specialist advice on all issues related to waste
We can help with:
Our lawyers have advised Federal, State and Local Governments, developers, and waste service providers of all sizes on issues related to waste. We recognise that the waste industry is a complex industry, with its own unique issues, economic drivers, and most of all, legal issues.
Our years of experience has given us a deep understanding of the waste industry. We understand how waste facilities operate, and the range of practical and legal issues faced by waste facilities. We know how complex waste supply-chains can be, and the importance of ensuring that waste contracts capture all of the relevant commercial and legal risks.
Our experts have helped clients through a range of issues, including:
- EPA investigations and prosecutions;
- Development consent and licence approvals processes;
- Land and Environment Court appeals;
- Drafting waste tenders and negotiating contracts;
- ACCC authorisations in relation to waste tenders and services;
- Probity issues in relation to waste tenders and contracts;
- Waste contract disputes;
- Operational issues such as resource recovery orders/exemptions, transportation of waste, land application of waste, waste supply chains and ownership issues and C&D waste issues;
- Interstate transport of waste;
- Waste classification and asbestos clearance issues;
- Asbestos waste issues;
- Waste levy issues;
- Compliance with the Protection of the Environment Operations Act and Protection of the Environment Operations (Waste) Regulation 2014;
- New legislation;
- Illegal dumping investigations;
- The Container Deposit Scheme, and negotiations on Refund Sharing Agreements; and
- Issues relating to the use and re-use of stockpiles at development sites.
We have extensive contacts with State and local government regulators, which allows us to obtain the best results for our clients. Our operational knowledge and extensive experience means that you can be confident that we will find the most practical and cost-effective solution to all waste related issues.
What can I do about waste which has been dumped on my land?
Depending on the type and amount of waste, you can report the offence to your local council, the police or the NSW Environment Protection Agency. You may also want to first investigate the nature of the waste and any contamination can also take action directly against the dumper if you know their identity. If the issue continues, get in touch with the team at Hones Lawyers and we will advise you on the best course of action.
When is an environment protection licence required?
Schedule 1 of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act lists the activities which require a licence to be carried out in NSW. If you need further help, the team at Hones can provide specialist advice and guidance when communicating with the EPA, in preparing licence applications, and advising on licensing requirements.
Can you help review a waste contract?
Waste contracts can be complex and our lawyers are experienced in reviewing and negotiating contracts, waste tenders, as well as assisting with contract disputes.
For more information on waste call us on 02 8999 6115.